Fun facts of the week: just peachy
- peaches were once known as Persian Apples
- August is National Peach month in the U.S. since 1982
- “you are a real peach” originated from the tradition of giving a peach to a the friend you liked.
- there are over 700 varieties of peaches1565 is the starting date of the first peach orchard in Florida
- in China, the beach is a symbol of longevity and good luck
- Nectarines are just peaches without the fuzz
- Peaches are the first most popular fruit grown in the U.S.
- Peaches are good source of Vitamin A, B and C. A medium peach contains only 35-50 calories.
- Peaches are grown commercially in 28 states.
- Peach is a member of the rose family
- Peach is good for digestion and is has a diuretic effect.
- It has natural soothing effect: peach can help to calm a sour stomach
- It is a good stress reliever, helps to reduce anxiety– it is often referred to as the ‘fruit of calmness’ in Hungary
- Georgia is known as the Peach State even though California produces about 50% of all peaches in the U.S.