Fun facts of the week: celery
- celery was used a medicinal plant to treat toothache, insomnia, gout, rheumatism, anxiety and arthritis.
- celery was first mentioned in English in 1664 by John Evely, who spelt it sellery.
- there is a town called Celeryville in Ohio. Founded in the early 19th century by celery farmers.
- There is a celery museum in Portage, Michigan called the Flats Interpretive center
- The ancient Greek physician prescribed celery as nerve soother.
- Celery was once considered a medicinal herb rather than a vegetable
- related to carrots, parsnips and parsley.
- Celery is a popular diet food because of its low calories.
- celery leaves contains important essential volatile oils.
- celery seeds are used as spice.
- the darker the color of the stalk, the strong their flavor will be.