Fun facts of the week: salt
- Every cell in the body contains salt
- In old Japanese theatres, salt was sprinkled on to the stage before each performance to prevent evil spirits from casting spell on the actors
- salt was used to preserve Egyptian mummies
- salt removes red wine stains
- Right up to the 20th Century, pound bars of salt were the basic currency in Abyssinia.
- Good quality salt contains many essential mineral for the body
- In the middle age, salt was so expensive it was sometimes referred as “white gold”.
- Black salt is made in India by mixing salt with harad seeds.
- In the early 1800s salt was 4 times as expensive as beef on the frontier
- only 6% of the salt used in the U.S. is used in food. another 17% is used to deicing streets and highways in the winter months.