Fun facts of the week: hemp
- all schoolbooks were made from hemp or flax paper until 1880s.
- from 1631 until early 1800s, it was legal to pay taxes with hemp in the U.S..
- You could go to jail in the U.S. if you refuse to grew hemp from 1763 to 1769.
- Benjamin Franklin owned one of the first paper mills in America.
- The War of 1812 was fought over hemp.
- For thousands of years, 90% of all ships’ sails and rope were made from hemp.
- until 1820 when cotton gin was introduced, all textile, fabric, cloth, lined, drapes, bed sheets, etc, were made from hemp.
- Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China.
- the first crop grown in may states were hemp.
- in 1850 was a peak year for Kentucky producing 40,000 tons.
- Henry Ford’s first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the car itself was constructed from hemp!
- hemp is the number one biomass producer on planet earth