Fun facts of the week: mango
- mangos were first grown in India over 5000 years ago
- mango seeds traveled with humans from Asia to the Middle East, East Africa and South America beginning around 300-400A.D
- a mango tree can grow as tall as 100 feet
- the bark, leaves, skin and pit of the mango have been used in folk remedies
- one cup serving of mango is 100 calories
- in many Latin American countries, mango on a stick with the skin peeled back is sold by street vendors
- mango can be enjoy served with salt, lime juice or chili powder for a unique flavor experience
- most of the mango sold in the U.S. includes: Tommy Atkins, Haden, Kent, Keith, Ataulfo and Francis.
- Ripe mangoes are often used as a ingredient in curries.
- mangoes have all the vitamins C you needs
- Mangoes are available all year round