fun facts of the week: tofu
- united states grows half of the soybeans produced in the world
- 12,672 blocks of tofu lined up end to end lengthwise equal to one mile
- there 5 forms of tofu: silk, extra soft, medium, firm and extra-firm.
- it is believed over 2,000 years ago, a Chinese cook accidentally discovered it by curdling soy milk using nigari seaweed.
- when you hit menopause, you should eat tofu! Tofu contains phytoestrogen, which may relieve menopausal symptoms.
- tofu can improve digestion and help flush out toxins. Can help prevent water bloating and weight gain.
- when you freeze tofu, it turns yellow.
- when you freeze tofu, it is referred as “thousand layer tofu.” When you freeze tofu, large ice crystals develop within the pores, which results in creation of large cavities that look layered like a sponge.
- you can eat tofu skin! Tofu skin is the film that is produced from boiling soy milk. When it dries, it turns yellowish.