Fun facts of the week: all about that beet
- beet is nature’s viagra. It is believed that beets can help boost and maintain a heathy sex drive by increasing blood flow to the reproductive organics. Beet contain high level of boron and nitrates, which is directly related to production of human sex hormones.
- Beets is your good mood food! Beets contain betaine that relaxes the mind and is used in other forms to treat depression. It also contains tryptophan (also found in chocolate), which contribute to a sense of well being.
- If you consume beets and your urine turns pink, you have low stomach acid (typically thats a good thing!) If your urine is still clear, it means that you have high level of stomach acid (time to get juicing. Don’t forget you can use beet greens too). Boys, don’t panic, sorry, you didn’t get your monthly visit nor dying… 😉
- Passes red or pink color in urine from beetroots is called beeturia (harmless)
- In the 19th century, Victorians use beets to dye their hair!
- Beets can be made into a wine .
- Beets are traditional food eaten at Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.
- Beets are often called nature’s candy as it is in high sugar content (mostly by people who never had actual candy)
- Sugar beets are 20% sugar while beets or beetroots are usually no more than 10% sugar.
- Legend has it, if a man and a woman eat from the same beet, then they will fall in love. ( be careful who you share your beet with)
- Beet juice has been used on city street to remove ice because it doesn’t damage cars like sand or salt. (nope, no one is dying)
- Beets for increased performance. Word on the street is beets can boost energy and enhance performance because of its nitrates content.